Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Week 21: post-assessment

The past two weeks, we did assessments to see where we belong (newbie, intermediate 1 or 2, advanced). As anticipated, I'm intermediate 2. We also did inductions last week, and I am now an official Machete Bettie. Yay! Am awaiting my insurance number and my committee list so I can pick an assignment. Finance, perhaps.

Tonight we worked with Rush, who I really dig for training. He knows how much he can ask of us before we start to whine, and then he makes us do more until he knows we're near the end. We did a lot of pack work. I seem to like being at the back of the pack, which is not a good place to be, but I have so little stamina that everyone passes me effortlessly.

At one point, Rush had had us stopped, and when we packed up he told me to get in front. I figured since I am by far the slowest out there, I'd best to step on it, so when he said go I took the hell off. A few seconds later he started hollering at the pack to catch up to me, and I turned my head to look ... they were way back there! How I got so far out in front is anyone's guess. They did catch up to me, yes.

When we took our next water break, Rush asked me if I wanted to go back to Intermediate 1 for pack drills for awhile. I asked him if that was where I needed to be, and he said no, I had earned my 2 slot, but I seemed trepidatious. I admitted that I was, and he pointed out that clearly I *can* move it when need be. He asked me to try to stay in the middle of the pack, and I did my best, but by then I was wearing down and it was showing.

Angela is a great cheerleader, btw. She was working pivot (front of the pack) and talking me through it at the same time, which was hugely helpful to us more in the front because we couldn't always hear Rush. How she gets so damn low I have got to learn.

All in all, a good night. I'm excited, and a little scared, for when my insurance takes effect so I can scrimmage. I need to get over scared - contact is the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment